Saturday, October 15, 2016

Give it a go

There have been two campaigns that caught my eye recently, although for extremely contrasting reasons. It was national Champagne week and simultaneously, on the other end of the spectrum, there was Women’s Sport Week. The latter being naturally far more significant for myself and hopefully further than just the female population. In the ideal world there would be no requirement for women’s sport promotion to be singled out, however this is a significant step to equality in this field. A campaign that encourages anyone, irrelevant of their age, ethnic background or postcode can only be seen as a positive step, please keep this going beyond one celebrated week.

I have personally benefitted from a combination of the post Olympic effect and the continued promotion of sport for women. Due to the extreme demand a rowing club in Bath offered numerous learn to row courses throughout the summer. I am far from the ideal student having taken three months to complete my five week introduction to this deceptively difficult sport. Apparently I have now graduated, although the fact that the course was concluded with a compulsory capsize drill does not leave me full of confidence.


In the ideal world it would make sense to take up a new sport close to the start of its season. This week the door of summer has suddenly slammed shut, I think there are going to be many chilly hours out on the water. I know I am a little soft after a couple of months in Brazil but I have had to give in, the heating has gone on, porridge is on the breakfast menu and long leggings are now essential for any outdoor pursuits.

No comments:

Post a Comment