Sunday, October 30, 2016

The final few words

In the past I have taken our strong pound for granted. Sadly as a result of Brexit my current trip to the United States will not be spent shopping, all of a sudden foreign goods are no longer the bargain they once were. We are all aware that our country is struggling to come to terms with the outcome of our vote to leave the EU, the initial stage of this transition has admittedly not begun in the smoothest manner. Those who voted remain and even those who hoped to leave, probably did not expect the confusion and uncertainty we are experiencing now. If you are one of those worrying about Britain’s future then just take a moment to compare our situation to that of the United States of America.

I am currently in Florida, one of the swing states in the US presidential election. At last the poles have started to show a shift away from Donald Trump but one of the worlds most powerful nations is still in danger of having this man (I can find no appropriate superlatives to describe such a human being) as their leader. I have tentatively asked a few Americans their view of the situation, you can imagine my shock when they compared it to the UK and Brexit - apparently Brexit is similar to building a wall between the USA and Mexico.


I do not have the time or space to share further opinions on Trump, as sadly this will be my final column for this publication. Last week I touched on the challenges of change; as human beings we naturally shy away from the unknown. It can be difficult to push oneself to conclude something that you so enjoy but it is also healthy to move on to new adventures when the time is right.

No comments:

Post a Comment